Photographs, vintage postcards and other ephemera


Saturday 6 April 2013

Kenilworth Castle

A rather good photograph of an ancient monument is my effort for this week's Sepia Saturday. It's Kenilworth Castle in Warwickshire; the photograph is from my Victorian Scrap Book and dates from 1873.
What surprises me is how the actual ruins appear to be little changed over the years - this modern photograph of the castle is taken from a similar angle - and I do like the chap in the foreground enjoying the scene.

More ancient and modern entries over at Sepia Saturday.

9 comments:

Kathy said...

Yes - very little seems to have changed except the landscaping. Beautiful photograph.

Nigel Aspdin (Derby, UK) said...

The problem is that the admission charges have changed !!

Brett Payne said...

It's a stunning photograph - you'd be hard pressed to find a modern postcard with anything like that quality, compositionally, tonally, clarity etc. Very similar style to a photograph of Ashby Castle that I included in my copntribution this week.

Mike Brubaker said...

A perfect choice for this weekend. This castle must have inspired a lot of romantic writers, painters, and photographers too.

Bob Scotney said...

One of England's great castles.

Tattered and Lost said...

I so wanted to visit this castle. I had it bookmarked in my touring guidebook. Alas, when I got there I got stuck in traffic and one thing led to another and I never saw anything but a wall. I told myself "Next time." Now I don't think "next time" will ever come.

Postcardy said...

It looks like it hasn't been occupied for a long time.

Lovely's Blot said...

Thanks for the picture..I'm pretty sure I once went to Kenilworth castle but I can't remember when.. you have inspired me to search back through my photos.

North County Film Club said...

What a beautiful castle and a great photograph you have in your collection.
Nancy