Photographs, vintage postcards and other ephemera


Saturday 14 April 2012

Per Ardua ad Astra

Flight is this week's theme over at Sepia Saturday, celebrating the 100th anniversary of the founding of the Royal Flying Corps, the forerunner of the Royal Air Force. I posted my only RFC image some time ago so for this week I've chosen a WW2 RAF pilot complete with rather dashing cravat.
I wish I knew who he was. There's no information on the reverse of the photograph but his face does make me smile back at him. 

Much more flighty stuff over at Sepia Saturday!

9 comments:

North County Film Club said...

Yes, that neckwear is pretty spiffy. It's interesting that his patch says Egypt. I'll bet he had some stories to tell.
Nancy

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

He is quite charming!

I'm your newest follower. :>)

Kathy M.

Bob Scotney said...

There must be a lot of photos like this with people unfortunately wondering who they are. I don't think you would find hime by searching RAF bases in Egypt.

Christine H. said...

Sometimes I like to look at pictures and try to change my perspective to see how it changes my perception of the subject. When I looked at him as if he were my son, I was able to imagine how much his own mother must have adored him.

Little Nell said...

Thank you for both posts - all the photos have their own story to tell, which we can only imagine.

Kristin said...

Ahhh, another mysterious pilot. Makes me really wish people would just put a few words on the back for future viewers.

Alan Burnett said...

It is a great photograph. I had to attend a 1930s party yesterday and to dress in style I bought myself a cravat. I had to Google instructions for tying it - I should have just looked at this great photograph to see how it really should be done.

21 Wits said...

Oh he certainly does have a warm and welcoming smile!

Tattered and Lost said...

He reminds me of the actor Adrian Brody. I can imagine him in a film.