Photographs, vintage postcards and other ephemera


Saturday 17 March 2012

Girl Guides

This photograph of Girl Guides fits this week's Sepia Saturday theme very nicely and for a change it's one from my family album.
That's me on the left with my friend Pam wearing our Girl Guide uniforms and Goole Grammar School blazers. We'd just arrived back at Pam's in Goole after a week's Guide camp in a field near Ulrome and her dad took this snap of us in the lane outside their house. The date's 1958 or 1959 and I remember that the weather was awful (our tent flooded), the food was terrific (nothing quite beats the taste of food cooked outside) and we all had a great time.

Lots more guiding and scouting over at Sepia Saturday.
 

12 comments:

Postcardy said...

That's a great photo. It looks like you are having a little trouble with your bedroll.

Joy said...

Looks like you were determined not to be cold with the large blanket. The tent flooding probably added to the excitement.

North County Film Club said...

Everyone has such wonderful memories of scouting. I can just smell the bacon cooking. Food did taste so much better in the out of doors. But my daughter sure complained about the cafeteria food at her g.s. camps.
Nancy

Tattered and Lost said...

Love the idea of you camping in skirts. I'm sure you had a change of clothes, but it's like British picnics where actual china is taken along for tea.

Little Nell said...

Yor smiling faces say it all, Good old Dad for taking a snap of the moment.

Bob Scotney said...

It's a few years since I've been to Goole; I defineitely han't been there when this great photo was take. That huge blanket must have keep them warm.

Wendy said...

On one of the camping trips as a Girl Scout leader, I woke up when the water seeped into my sleeping bag. UGH -- that was the fastest any of us moved to pack up and get home. (By the way, Pam is wearing my favorite shoes.)

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

An adventure that you will never forget! Love the photo and your memories. Thank you,

Kathy M.

Alan Burnett said...

A fine photograph indeed. Funnily enough, and despite living in Yorkshire nearly all of my life, until a few weeks ago I had never heard of Ulrome. And then I discovered an old album of family photographs taken there by my uncle, And now a mention by you.

Christine H. said...

I love this picture! You both look so delighted to be alive. It sounds like it was a very fun time.

Mike Brubaker said...

The different British/American terms of girl guides vs. girl scouts is interesting. Scouts go out alone to explore and reconnoiter, while guides lead with knowledge and maps. Great photo.

21 Wits said...

Happiness does seem to abound with this photo. It's great that it's from your own family too!